The church of Redon Espic

The foundation of the church and buildings of this priory dates back to the end of the 12th century.

Until now, it is unknown which order was the founder of this building (Benedictines, Cistercians, Grandmontines).
Its name, Redon Espic, Rotundo Spino, could be a reference to the rounded spur on which the complex was built, or it could be a toponym for “the broken bushes”.

It is probable that this priory depended on the Benedictine abbey of Sarlat. Probably partly destroyed during the Wars of the Religions, it was in a very bad state in the 18th century and was suppressed by the Bishop of Sarlat in 1755. At the beginning of the 19th century, the church became a sheepfold until it was bought in 1814 by M. Monribot, the mayor of Castels.

Not far from there, 500 metres away, an oratory reminds us that in 1814 the Virgin appeared twice to a young shepherdess of 14 years, Jeanne Grave. She died shortly afterwards.

The church itself was returned to worship in 1852. The growing number of faithful contributed to the creation of a pilgrimage near the fountain where the Virgin appeared. Since then, a pilgrimage has taken place every year on 8 September to Redon Espic.

Inside, a pointed arch vault, rising to 7.80m in the east and 9.04m in the west, provides exceptional acoustics for the building. The entire interior of the church was decorated with paintings, some of which remain, from the time the church was completed.

The church and its buildings were classified as historical monuments in December 1999.

error: Content is protected !!
Skip to toolbar